Search Other Sites

Monday, September 26, 2011

Shepard's Pie

My dear hubby, though not a stitch of Irish in him, LOVES him some SHEPARD'S PIE!!!!  This is a very common "meat and potato" recipe at our house!  My kids too inhale this stuff, and it's SO NICE cause it's "all in one" so I don't have to cook any veggie sides, etc!  What could get better than that!? :)

So, here it is! :)



1 lb ground beef
1/4 c Worchestershire Sauce
1 packet Brown Gravy Mix
2 T flour
1 c water
1-2 bags frozen mixed vegetables
2.5 lb potatoes (red are the best, but russet will do)
1 stick butter
1 c Cheddar Cheese, shredded

In a frying pan, brown ground beef in the Worchestershire Sauce.  When the meat is done cooking, add the dry packet of Brown Gravy & flour and coat the meat.  Add 1 c water.  Simmer a few minutes until the gravy has thickened.  Mix the frozen vegetables (don't need to heat), and hamburger mix together in a 9x13 pan.  Peel and boil potatoes and mash either by hand or in a food processor or in a Kitchen Aid with a stick of butter.  Layer potatoes on top of the meat/veggie mix and top then with cheese.  Bake @ 350 for 40 minutes.

Note:  I DO make a double batch and freeze this dish just before the bake time.  On dinner day, I just set on the counter in the morning and bake as instructed above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this stuff!

Anonymous said...

I never add the Worchestershire Sauce- thats a new one that I'll have to try.
I've added crushed tomatoes to mine a time or two for a little change. Or I add a little wasabi and bacon to my potatoes for a little kick. Since I am usually only cooking it for myself; I never thought to make a double batch and freeze it.
Very insightful!
Chefette Montanabettycrocker