Search Other Sites

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Taco Pizza




So, growing up, we used to eat at a pizza joint called Godfathers Pizza, most of the time with my Aunt & Uncle and cousins, but sometimes also with some good friends of ours. And every time we ate there we had Taco Pizza! I got even MORE of a craving for Taco Pizza through all those most glorious pregnancies I went through and Casey's then became my best friend! :) Sounds disgusting, but those of you from the midwest are most familiar. Since we've moved out here to Phoenix, not ONE PLACE serves Taco that we've been able to find YET! So, with some help of my awesome sister-in-law that had the original idea, I tweaked and made it as close to the kind in the midwest that I could! PRETTY CLOSE if you ask me! DELISH!

Crust: See "Pizza Crust"

Sauce:

1 can refried beans
1 can Contadina Pizza Sauce
1 packet taco seasoning

Mix these three ingredients together and spread HALF of the mixture over ONE pizza crust. If you aren't going to be making two pizzas, then store the other half in a container to use the next time you make a taco pizza.

Toppings:

1 lb ground sausage (I use Jimmy Dean's, but any brand is fine.)
1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
tomato
lettuce
1 bag Doritos (Cheesy Nacho or Taco are our favorite for pizza.)

Brown sausage and drain. Top the sauced crust with the sausage and mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden around the edges. Take out and serve hot with fresh cheddar, tomato, lettuce and chips! We do our own topping separately, that way if you have leftovers, your toppings don't get soggy. If you KNOW you're going to polish off the entire pizza, then you could just throw everything on top and serve from the pan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! Taco pizza is one of our very favorites. Fun to make & eat!! :) I usually make mine with hamburger, but am going to try the sausage next time...which will be SOON!